Thursday, March 10, 2011

Lekoa Tour - Day 8

Good Friends in Christ

Rev Francis and Mary
Moletsane
I visited Francis and Mary Moletsane in Sebokeng this morning (Wednesday 9 March). Francis retired about 10 years ago after more than 40 years of ministry. He was originally an "evangelist", starting his ministry in the Free State and then, Barberton. In 1970, when the former PCSA came to their senses and realised that they could not perpetuate a two tier form of ministry, Francis was ordained and appointed to the new developing township called Sebokeng.  St Paul's, Sharpville, was the big church in the area then. They decided to develop a new congregation and symbolically they saw themselves as Paul sending out a younger brother. So they called the new church, St Timothy's. I wondered whether the other Sebokeng church, St Mark's, was not also named in the same way because Mark was a companion of Paul (and Barnabas).

Mary is confined to bed and very frail. She welcomed me to her home. I presented Francis and Mary with a gift on behalf of the Assembly.

The Rev Thando Mpambane is Interim Moderator to St Mark's, Sebokeng, and he arranged for me to meet elders and members who eagerly told me about the life and work of the congregation. I was treated to sandwiches and tea.  The congregation has a lovely building and a Manse which is currently rented out. I addressed the members present and answered some questions raised.
Members of St Mark's with Rev Thando Mpambane
Later in the day, I visited St Timothy's who also received me well.  St Timothy's is presently receiving a new minister, the Rev N. Kula. The Rev. Kula will be the first minister in some time.  St Timothy's (and St Anthony's) was previously served by the Rev Zamani Maqoko.
In every place, I am finding proud Presbytyerians who face challenges and yet, experience great joy in worship.  I look forward to meeting all these people again on Sunday in the combined service planned in the Saul Tsotsetsi hall.
St Timothy's


In the evening, I visited the little congregation of St Peter's, Deneysville. This congregation must have one of the most beautiful settings in the UPCSA! The congregation meets in two beautiful stone buildings (one is the church and the other is the "hall") built on a grassy patch on the banks of the vaal dam. The view over the dam is breath taking. Robbie Pitt, treasurer of Lekoa Presbytery is a member and introduced me to the congregation.

There were such encouraging questions - about Church Growth and how to reach out to young people. After our meeting, we had tea in the Church hall. I drove back to Three Rivers giving thanks to God for this group of christians meeting Sundays beside the vaal.


Greetings to all of you on this Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent.

No comments:

Post a Comment