Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Lekoa Tour - Day 2

Dear Friends

My second day went something like this:
I left Carletonville just after 8 and travelled through Potchefstroom to Klerksdorp. I wondered, as I drove through Potch, how come we didn't have a Presbyterian Church in this seemingly thriving little city.  I arrived at Klerksdorp at 10 am and was greeted by the Rev Ken Smith and his wife, Mida.  Ken is a retired minister of the UCCSA serving Trnity, Klerksdorp, as Stated Supply.

At 10h30, I was invited to lead the congregation in worship and celebrate Holy Communion. Tea followed (in true Presbyterian fashion) and after that some of the elders from All Saints, Jouberton and Stillfontein congregations took me out to see their buildings. Our first stop was All Saints where I was taken on a tour of the church buildings and manse and told about the history and plans for the future. All Saints has a new probationer minister and is very excited about the prospect of having their own minister after the long vacancy they have had.
All Saints, Jouberton
Elders & Linsby Motebele (PAT student)
 of All Saints 
From All Saints, we travelled to the outstation at Kanana. There a steel structure there, erected recently. The congregation is seeking ways to make this steel structure into a worship space with roof, floor and walls.

Kanana, Outstation
Kanana current building.

After Kanana, guided by Mrs Gantso, I proceeded to Stillfontein where we were met by some members (including Mrs Mabo, the mother of the Rev VP Mabo). We were taken through the buildings and told about the history of Stillfontein which began as a church for migrant miners mostly from the Eastern Cape.

I handed over gifts to all three of these congregations, sent by my home church, Trinity - Edenvale.


In the late afternoon, I visited one of our retired ministers, the Rev Ian van der Lingen and his wife Judy.  Ian and Judy had served St John's, Turffontein, St John the Evangelist in Parkmore and Kokstad. They have retired to Stillfontein where he continues to lead a Bible Study and has assisted Trinity, Klerksdorp. It was lovely to hear Ian's many stories about the ministry. I expressed the deep love of the UPCSA to these long standing servants of the Church.  Ian's daughter in law, Shona, is Clerk of the Presbytery of uThukela.


Ian and Judy van der Lingen
I stayed over night in Orkney (as in 'Orkney snork nie') with Trinity's Session Clerk, Lynn Frost and her husband, Des. Today I take the long road to Vryburg deep in the Kalahari.


With love

No comments:

Post a Comment